Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Jumping the hoops

When I began to do research on the price of our project it never occurred to me that getting the money to pay for our plan might not be the most difficult part. I really had no idea that there was such a thing as an aesthetic restriction or that there were only certain materials that you could use to build things at the park or that you have to go through the tourism board to decide where to place a building. It was definitely an educational experience and the lesson I suppose I learned from this is that there are more hoops to jump through with a civic improvement project than you might expect. That doesn’t mean it’s impossible though. In fact as I made these inquiries I found that people were very willing to help me figure out what steps I should take and were very informative about what restrictions were in place.

The moral of the story is don’t be deterred from trying to improve your community just because there might be more obstacles than you expected there is almost always a way around it. You will also find many people willing to help you find your way around these obstacles. All it takes is a little persistence as is the case with most things in the American government.

1 comment:

  1. I have been working with the New Cities Institute Group with improving our community. I enjoy working with this group to help improve our community such as we are trying to get more jobs, recreation activities improved, overall just improving what Morgan County already has. Our short term is to create opportunities for local talent to perform regularly, and expand the parks. Our long term projects is to build an amphitheatre, and help improve Old Mill Park with better playground equipment. Our class have come up with these projects to help improve our community and also to try to get the surrounding communities to come and participate in our facility.

    ReplyDelete